Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News . . .

I went to my new doctor last week and filled out all the paper work, my medical history, etc. My doctor scanned his clipboard and noticed two or three items of interest. First, it appears I have not had a thorough physical exam since about 1987. (Apparently that's going to change.) Second, I weigh more than I did in 1987. (Apparently, that's going to change, too.) Third, I have never had a prostate examination. (That changed immediately! Not recommended for entertainment purposes.) And last of all, I have never had a colonoscopy even though my father died of colon cancer at age 60. So, this has been scheduled for me. (I guess I should be grateful to live in a time when we have the medical technology to boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'm just a little queasy about it.)

Don't get me wrong. I want to be fit and healthy and active for as long as I can. I still love to run, to play basketball, and throw a football around in the backyard. But I guess I'm coming in to those years when we quit thinking about our bodies in terms of appearance and think more about maintenance. I'm just not showroom quality anymore. I've got dings and dents and more miles than you might expect. All in all, I know I have been blessed with good health and a body with no major breakdowns or accidents. Knock on wood. I feel like I've got many more good miles still in me.

Am I the only one noticing this unwelcomed transition from youthful vigor to middle age maintenance? I'll bet not. Any thoughts or wisdom to share?

Comments

Popular Posts