Thoughts for the Coming Year

"An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up late to make sure the old year leaves." -Bill Vaughn

Does anyone actually keep their new year's resolutions? I have never been real big on this whole resolution thing, because I've always struggled to hang in there until February, let alone December. I guess it is a good thing that a brand new year causes us to take stock and determine to do better. So, why do we usually fail?

I heard someone say that the reason people like us so often fail to accomplish our goals is because we tend to set our goals too high and try to reach them too soon. I wonder if there isn't some truth in that evaluation. Maybe we need to discipline ourselves with baby steps before we can tackle the giant steps. And perhaps taking the long view can help our little steps still cover a lot of ground, moving us in the right direction. What do you think?

Well, I'm going to climb out on a limb and make a few resolutions of my own for the coming year, factoring in that none of us has any idea what 2008 will hold for us, our families, our work, even our world. But, here goes.

For the new year, 2008, I make the following resolutions:
  • I will use every day of my vacation time.
  • I will keep up my running and basketball, 3-4 times a week, and try to eat less like a hog and more like a bird.
  • I will have a real conversation with each person in my family every day it is humanly possible.
  • I will finally finish writing the book that has been on my list since 2002.
  • I will do a better job of mentoring and encouraging those I work with every day.
  • I will do my best to keep every promise I make, to live what I teach, and to practice what I preach.
  • When I blow it, I will be quick to fess up and ask forgiveness, and even quicker to forgive others.
  • I will do my best to keep my heart close to the heart of God, to know Him intimately, to love Him deeply, to serve Him faithfully, and to walk with Him daily.
Let's hear it for a great 2008! May the best of you be most of you in the coming year.

Comments

Popular Posts