The One Word We Need

"I remember sitting parked by the roadside once, terribly depressed and afraid about my daughter's illness and what was going on in my family, when out of nowhere a car came along down the highway with a license plate that bore on it the one word out of all the words in the dictionary that I needed most to see exactly then. The word was TRUST. What do you call a moment like that? Something to laugh off as the kind of joke life plays on us every once and a while? The word of God? I am willing to believe that maybe it was something of both, but for me it was an epiphany.

"The owner of the car turned out to be, as I'd suspected, a trust officer in a bank, and not long ago, having read an account I wrote of the incident somewhere, he found out where I lived and one afternoon brought me the license plate itself, which sits propped up on a bookshelf in my house to this day. It is rusty around the edges and a little battered, and it is also as holy a relic as I have ever seen." - Frederick Buechner

Need a word today, a little encouragement to deal with what lies ahead? Well, here it is - TRUST.

Comments

Popular Posts