"Remember Me"

This weekend we will be saying goodbye to a wonderful friend and partner in ministry here at Memorial, Katie McKown. Though we share Katie's joy as she begins her new ministry assignment, it is sad to see her go. I was reminded of these words from Frederick Buechner, words for those of us who have said too many goodbyes:

When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.

For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost. When I'm feeling most ghost-like, it's your remembering me that helps remind me that I actually exist. When I'm feeling sad, it's my consolation. When I'm feeling happy, it's part of why I feel that way.

If you forget me, one of the ways I remember who I am will be gone. If you forget me, part of who I am will be gone.

"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom," the good thief said from his cross (Luke 23:42). There are perhaps no more human words in all of Scripture, no prayer we can pray so well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think it is great that you are sending off Katie with such class! It has been a joy to watch her ministry at Memorial and there are so many of us who are are with you in this moment of blessing for her.
Anonymous said…
Glad to know you are celebrating my friend, Katie! She's a gem and it has been a blessing to watch her ministry at Memorial.

Popular Posts