Political Ads and God's Stomach Ache

No one will hear me grinding my political axe during this political campaign. I have no interest in discussing my own political views on this blog or anywhere else for that matter. Frankly, I don't want to debate your views either. I find plenty that offends and frustrates me in both of our political parties, particularly as we are barraged with political ads from both campaigns that deliberately mislead and misrepresent the truth.

As a person of faith and a follower of Jesus, I'm looking for some shred of integrity wherever I can find it. But when it comes to our politics - local, state, or national - integrity is usually missing in action and truth is the campaign's first casualty. It raises some questions in my mind, questions we might put to both parties, but mainly to the average voter like me:
  • Does the end justify the means in a political campaign? 
  • Is it ethical to be less than candid about one's own views in order to avoid offending voters?
  • Is it appropriate to misrepresent the views of your opponent in order to win over voters?
  • Is it morally acceptable to actively twist and distort the truth in order to gain or keep power?
  • Are American voters as ignorant and intolerant as the political strategists seem to believe? 
  • Why do most political ads appeal to the basest side of human nature, fear and jealousy, bias and prejudice?
  • Is there even one political commentator who is truly fair, objective, unbiased?
  • Who can we believe?
A wise leader from long ago warned us about such things: There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies, and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers. (Proverbs 6:16-19 NIV)

Sounds to me like the Almighty will be glad when this year is over, no matter who gets elected.

Comments

Popular Posts