Only One Mother in the Whole World

"Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world." -- Kate Douglas Wiggin

My mother married young, not quite sixteen, and gave birth to eight children in twelve years. I am her baby, the youngest child, born when Mom was twenty-eight years old. As we celebrate this Mother's Day, Eva Hill is eighty, and has 26 grandchildren and 26 great grandchildren, and more to come.

Just a few thoughts in tribute to a truly remarkable lady.
  • I have always been loved.
  • I have always felt safe.
  • I have never known hunger.
  • I never noticed when we had less than others.
  • I never wondered who was in charge.
  • I was never made to feel like a burden or a problem or a pest.
  • I always knew that someone believed in me.
  • I was always taught that God's way was the best way.
These were just some of the wonderful gifts that my mother gave to me and to each of her eight children. God bless you, Mom. (I'll be over to sit with you in church this Sunday on Mother's Day. You better bring some mints or gum. You know how I get fidgety in church sometimes.)

Comments

Popular Posts