What Keeps Me Running

With the coming of Spring, I'm back out on the trail. It's been a long, hard winter, and I had almost forgotten how much I love it. For me, running is so much more than just physical exercise. My early morning runs are my solitude, my sanity, and my spiritual discipline. Running is my connection with nature and my communion with God. Every mile is a return to the exuberance of my childhood and an act of defiance against the aging of my 50 year old body.

Let me share a few lines that keep me running. Then, go get your shoes on, stretch out and get going:  

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." - Jesse Owens

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it." -Oprah Winfrey

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'" - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable." -Sir Roger Bannister, first runner to run a sub-4 minute mile

"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate." - John Bingham, running writer and speaker

Comments

Popular Posts