Today Is the Day

I started my day as I often do with a few lines from Frederick Buechner. Perhaps you need his words as much as I did.

"You are seeing everything for the last time, and everything you see is gilded with goodbyes. . . . For the last time you are hearing this house come alive because you who are part of its life have come alive. All the unkept promises if they are ever to be kept have to be kept today. All the unspoken words if you do not speak them today will never be spoken. The people, the ones you love and the ones who bore you to death, all the life you have in you to live with them, if you do not live it with them today will never be lived.

It is the first day because it has never been before and the last day because it will never be again. Be alive if you can all through this day, today of your life. What's to be done? What's to be done?

Follow your feet. Put on the coffee. Start the orange juice, the bacon, the toast. Then go wake up the children and your wife. Think about the work of your hands. . . . Live in the needs of the day."

Comments

Annie said…
This is beautiful! I have recently written about how my parents and my husband have been cherished each day. And as I approach 50 years of age, I am quickly realizing, understanding, and totally appreciating how blessed I am to have each day.

Each day, a gift, when opened provides endless possibilities, blessings and memories to store in the hope chest of our heart. And someday, when those we love are gone, we can open the chest and experience the love once more.
Drew Hill said…
Thanks, Annie. I always enjoy your thoughts. "Endless possibilities, blessings and memories." What a way to live - past, present, and future, all coming together in the wonder of today.

Popular Posts