The Plastic Church

Today a friend sent me these pictures of a model church built entirely out of Legos. Hard to believe, isn't it? And yes, somebody has entirely too much time on their hands. This church is constructed of more than 75,000 Legos and took 18 months to complete. It measures 7 feet by 5 1/2 feet and seats 1,372 little Lego people.

I looked at the pictures for a couple of minutes and made some observations. First, this can't be a Presbyterian church because all the empty seats are towards the back. And it can't be a Baptist church because all of the people are smiling. It's not a charismatic church either since everyone is seated with not a single hand raised. Must not be contemporary either - no screens or projection. Way too many windows to be postmodern. What kind of church is this anyway?

It's a plastic church, and it just may represent a significant number of churches in America. You know what I mean? Plastic. Neat and clean, but also cold and sterile. Artificial, lifeless worship, everyone neatly in place and unchanging, pretending to have church, but for display purposes only, nothing to do with real life. Plastic churches built by enterprising humans rather than birthed by the Spirit of God. Little churches where little people have little faith in a little God.

Ever been to a plastic church? I have a time or two, but I have no desire to return. I'm sticking with the real thing. It's not nearly so neat and clean and shiny, but it's alive and kicking. That's where I want to be.

Comments

Anonymous said…
ouch and well said. :) I should show this picture to my boys, they would love to go to a Lego church.
Drew Hill said…
Thanks, Monica, and tell your boys to have at it! Our boys loved Legos more than any other toys. Big time fun. Now it's all about cars and college. Time goes way too fast. -Drew
Jonathan said…
I think that might be the infamous Crystal Cathedral...

Popular Posts