You're in the Army Now!

Since our kids are in high school and college now, Suzanne and I no longer get to have those wonderful "When I grow up . . ." conversations that we enjoyed so much in elementary school days.

One day I picked up our third grader from school and he started in like this: "Dad, I know what I wanna be when I grow up." "Really?" I said. "What do you want to be this time, Jake?" We had talked about this subject lots of times, but this day he seemed pretty determined.

"When I grow up, I'm gonna join the army." "Oh, you are?" "Yea. And I'm gonna have three jobs. I'm gonna be a medic, a chaplain, and a private."

"Wow, Jake, three jobs. I think they usually make you choose just one job in the army."

"No , I wanna do three jobs. I wanna be a medic and fix up soldiers when they get shot. And I wanna be a chaplain and tell people about Jesus. And I wanna be a private . . . cause I wanna shoot a few, too."

Well, who knows where Jake's mixed motives will eventually lead him. He'll probably be a general some day.

When I was a kid, my first ambition in life was to be the garbage man. I had an orange wagon that I used to haul our trash cans around the yard. At least part of the attraction for me was thinking that the garbage man never had to take a bath. I'm not certain what logic I was following on that one. And I never discussed the matter with a real live garbage man in order to know for certain. Of course, I have to shower every day in my present job. Oh, well.

So, what was your earliest ambition in life? "When I grow up . . ."

Comments

Popular Posts