My Birthday Boy

One never forgets the first moment of parenthood, staring into that tiny pink face squinting against the light, nestled in a hospital blanket. Eight pounds or so feels like no weight at all, but instinctively we know that a much heavier weight has just settled on to our shoulders, a joyous burden of new found responsibility and purpose. And, big and strong though we may be, from that moment we are captured, smitten, and subject to this little one we have created. Those tiny fingers take hold of our hearts and we are suddenly willing to do anything, whatever it takes, to love, to provide, to protect, to save and to sacrifice, even to lay down our lives for this infant, our child, our glorious contribution to God's creative purposes. Life is never the same.

Having another bouncing baby boy and a beautiful little princess has only reinforced those feelings in me. As a father my heart has not been subdivided by my three children. Each one has staked their claim on my whole heart.  

Twenty-four years ago today I become a dad, when Samuel David Hill made his noisy entrance into my life. Happy Birthday, son. Wish I could spend today with you and let you beat me in chess.

“There is more to a boy than what his mother sees. There is more to a boy then what his father dreams. Inside every boy lies a heart that beats. And sometimes it screams, refusing to take defeat. And sometimes his father's dreams aren't big enough, and sometimes his mother's vision isn't long enough. And sometimes the boy has to dream his own dreams and break through the clouds with his own sunbeams.” - Ben Behunin

God bless my boy, our son, on his birthday and everyday of his life. Let him dream your dreams, Lord, nothing less, nothing else. 

Comments

Popular Posts