As far as anybody seems to know, the vast majority of things in the universe do not have whatever life is. Sticks, stones, stars, space - they simply are. A few things are and are somehow aware of it. They have broken through into Something, or Something has broken through into them. Even a jellyfish, a butternut squash. They're in it with us. We're all in it together, or it in us. Life is it. Life is with.
After lecturing learnedly on miracles, a great theologian was asked to give a specific example of one. "There is only one miracle," he answered. "It is life."
- Have you wept at anything during the past year?
- Has your heart beat faster at the sight of young beauty?
- Have you thought seriously about the fact that someday you are going to die?
- More often than not do you really listen when people are speaking to you instead of just waiting for your turn to speak?
- Is there anybody you know in whose place, if one of you had to suffer great pain, you would volunteer yourself?