More Than Turkey and Dressing

Well, it's time once again to pause and take stock, time to reflect on all the blessings of life and offer thanks to the God who gives so graciously and generously to His children. So here goes, my Thanksgiving list for 2009:

I am thankful for . . .
  • McDonald's large sugar-free vanilla iced coffee. I love 'em.
  • Good books to read in bed, even if it takes me six months to finish one.
  • A solitary trail heading out into the country - my special place to run, to think, to watch, to enjoy.
  • Those thoughtful little notes from special people, always sent along at just the right time to get me going again.
  • Early mornings in the office, quiet and prayerful, just me and my Boss.
  • Enjoying my favorite tunes on the road, Springsteen, the Eagles, Mellencamp, and Dylan. I must be getting old.
  • The guys in my morning prayer group. God only knows the difference you make in this world.
  • A church full of saints who know what to do in a crisis. Your practical thoughtfulness is a wonderful testimony to the love of God.
  • My Wednesday night regulars who gather every week to listen and learn and pray. You keep me in the Book.
  • Three golf buddies who are almost as lousy as me at golf, but are world class when it comes to friendship.
  • A son headed to Oxford University who is so passionate in his search for truth and in his desire to change his world.
  • A son headed to the U.S. Navy, ready to serve his country and determined to jump into manhood all at once.
  • A daughter who still lets me come along on the roller coaster ride of her high school days.
  • A wife who manages to do the work of two or three, and somehow keeps all of the plates in the air. Amazing. I'm looking forward to simpler times to come.
  • An incredible God who gets me where I need to be, who gives me words when I have none, who offers His strength for my weakness, and covers my failures with His boundless grace.
There you have it. So much to be thankful for. God is so good. What about you? Is it time for you to count your blessings?

More Than Turkey and Dressing (2007)

Comments

Popular Posts