What a Day for a Daydream

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge,
That myth is more potent than history.
I believe that dreams are more powerful than facts
That hope always triumphs over experience
That laughter is the only cure for grief
And I believe that love is stronger than death.
- Robert Fulghum, Storyteller's Creed

I confess. I have always been a daydreamer. I was the kid in class sitting there with glazed eyes gazing out the window, startled when the teacher suddenly called my name. "Uh, what was the question?" And even today, I sometimes like to let my mind wander to unexplored worlds and imaginary scenarios. Most of the time, like you, I am pinned down to dealing with realities, the needs and responsibilities staring me in the face. But every now and then God seems to call me out of myself and beyond myself, to count the stars and the grains of sand on the shore. Sometimes I find myself far above the mundane duties of the day, catching a glimpse from the lofty heights where the fog clears and I can see the distant miles stretching out ahead. God gives the best daydreams.

It doesn't happen often, mind you. Not nearly so often as I would like. But sometimes, in unscheduled sacred moments, I can see far beyond the range of my bifocals, I can begin to see a path and a promise for me, my family, my people.

And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days.
(Joel 2:28-29 NIV)

"How about today, Lord? Please let it be today."

Comments

Popular Posts