Six Random Things About Me
1. My first car was an enormous 1970 Dodge Polara, maroon with a black vinyl top. I once drove my entire intramural football team across campus and through town to visit an injured teammate at the hospital - seven guys inside the car, six more in the trunk. I bought the car with over 100,000 miles on it for $425, I drove it 90,000 miles, and I finally sold it for $350. Not a bad deal, huh?
2. When I was a kid my birthday often fell on Super Sunday, the day of the Super Bowl. In fact the last time my Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl was the day I turned 10 years old, January 11, 1970. And, back then, I was a big Vikings fan, so the Chiefs spoiled my big day.
3. My first girlfriend was Carol, my fourth grade sweetheart. I remember trying to give Carol a kiss on a church hayride, but the ride was rough and each time we tried to kiss we ended up bumping heads. After the third bump she pushed me away and said, "Forget it." It took me years to work through that experience.
4. I preached my very first sermon on November 10, 1975 on a Sunday night at First Baptist Church in Grandview, Missouri. It was a youth night so all of the students had a part in the music or the scripture reading or passing the offering plates, and I was supposed to bring a sermon. I worked on it for six weeks and timed it out several times at 25 minutes. When the big moment finally arrived, I stood and gave them everything I had prepared and then some. It lasted 11 minutes. I had no idea at the time that I would end up in the ministry.
5. I love to play chess. My dad taught me to play when I was still a preschooler and I have enjoyed teaching our kids to play. Two out of three really enjoy the game. I don't get to play as much now as in times past, and my computer beats me with annoying regularity, but I still enjoy the game.
6. One more random thought. I love peaches. Peach pie, peach cobbler, peach ice cream, peach jam or preserves, peach ice tea - you name it, I love it. God's greatest gift to our taste buds and no doubt a major part of the menu in Heaven - peaches.