My Chocolate Cross

I received a unique gift for Easter this year - a chocolate cross. One of the kids at church, gave me the boxed cross as a gift from her family. I thanked her for her thoughtfulness and for remembering me in this way. I don't usually receive gifts at Easter, maybe just a few cards.

Since then, my chocolate cross has been sitting on my desk in my office. Keep in mind the normal life expectancy of anything chocolate in my office is less then three minutes. Now here it is three weeks after Easter and there it sits, my chocolate cross in the shiny purple and green box.

I'm not sure why I hesitate. I'm not usually so squeamish. I don't mind biting the head off of a chocolate bunny. No problem. But this is different. Something about it bothers me.

Maybe there's a reason we don't see candy coated electric chairs or red licorice hangman's nooses or graham cracker guillotines. I've never seen a chocolate marshmallow handgun or a bubble gum dagger either. I just can't munch on a chocolate cross. It's just too incongruent, too commercial, too much of a reach for me. Am I nuts or what? What about you? What would you do with a chocolate cross?

Comments

Popular Posts